[Wpscholars-network] Service-learning online workshop
amani.bell at sydney.edu.au
Wed Feb 22 12:28:11 EST 2012
[Magna Online Workshops]
Trouble viewing this email? Read it on the web here<http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/tag?t_params=EMAIL%3Dsimon.barrie%2540sydney.edu.au%26PASSWORD%3DB8XEciAAEH4nBPQ9uiTrCYb6bDAf2h> Send to a colleague<http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/raf?RAF_TRACKfirstname.lastname@example.org>.
If you're looking for help developing service-learning projects, you'll never find a better opportunity than this ... <http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/landing12>
Service-learning is an easy concept to embrace–but sometimes a difficult one to carry out. How do you incorporate it meaningfully into your courses ... identify projects and community partners ... handle the logistics ... construct a syllabus?
If you're enthusiastic about service-learning–but unsure of how to make it work–you'll be excited to learn about a new workshop opportunity, led by higher ed's leading expert in service learning.
Service-Learning Course Design Workshop & Consultation<http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/landing12>
This unique online program will be hosted by Barbara Jacoby, Ph.D.<http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/bio>, the nation's leading authority on service-learning. During her more than 30 years with the University of Maryland, Dr. Jacoby has been at the forefront of service-learning on her own campus and internationally.
As Senior Scholar at Maryland's Center for Campus Life, she has worked with many faculty members in all disciplines to develop service-learning courses that combine academic learning and community service so that each enhances the other. She is the author of six books, including "Service-Learning in Higher Education," "Building Partnerships for Service-Learning," and "Civic Engagement in Higher Education."
Online workshop program structure
Service-Learning Course Design Workshop & Consultation<http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/landing11> consists of two workshops, a week apart, with online discussion session in between.
Workshop #1 : June 21, 2012
In the first workshop, Dr. Jacoby will share best practices in service-learning development. You'll learn:
* The fundamentals of service-learning course design.
* First steps in developing a service-learning course syllabus (or modifying an existing one).
* Concrete examples of how service-learning can work in any discipline.
* How to develop appropriate outcomes for students and community organizations.
* How to build relationships with community partners.
* How to handle logistical issues (tools, materials, dress, risk management, transportation, safety, etc.).
During the next week, you'll work on syllabus development. Dr. Jacoby will moderate an ongoing, online dialogue among participants. You can post draft syllabi, ask questions, and engage in a robust exchange of ideas. Dr. Jacoby herself will join the conversation each day, responding to questions and reviewing submitted syllabi.
Workshop #2 : June 28, 2012
In the second workshop, Dr. Jacoby will:
* Review in depth roughly a half-dozen syllabi submitted by participants and highlight their strengths.
* Explain how to integrate key elements into your own syllabus.
* Help you and other participants fine-tune the work you've done over the preceding week.
* Leave you with a solid roadmap to service-learning success.
You'll be able to fine-tune the work you've done over the preceding week, and put the finishing touches on your plan to incorporate service-learning into your courses.
Participants will receive step-by-step worksheets for each phase of service-learning course development, as well as a comprehensive template for use in developing a service-learning syllabus.
That's not all ...
In addition to the workshops and consultation services, Service-Learning Course Design Workshop & Consultation<http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/landing12> includes these additional materials:
* [service learning] Three Magna 20 Minute Mentor programs on CD, all presented by Dr. Jacoby:
– How Can I Promote Deep Learning Through Critical Reflection<http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/landing6>
– How Do I Get Started With Service-Learning?<http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/landing8>
– Can Service-Learning Work in My Discipline? <http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/landing4>
* A copy of the Magna white paper Service-Learning Course Design: What Faculty Need to Know<http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/landing10>, authored by Dr. Jacoby.
Purchased separately, these materials alone would cost hundreds – but they're all included in the price of the program.
Online delivery saves you money
Two days with a top consultant, coupled with hands-on guidance, would typically cost your institution thousands of dollars. But the Service-Learning Course Design Workshop & Consultation program costs far less: You can enjoy the entire program, including both workshops, online consultation, the three 20 Minute Mentor programs and other extras, for just $899.
Better still: Register by Thursday, June 16, and you can save an additional $70 ... and if others participate, you'll pay even less per person. It really is an exceptional value.
Phone: 800-433-0499 or
Email<mailto:support at magnapubs.com>
1PM CST June 21, 2012 and
1PM CST June 28, 2012
Each presentation will be available on demand for 30 days following live presentation.
Three easy ways to register!
Email<mailto:support at magnapubs.com>
Included with your registration:
· Access to the first live broadcast June 21st
· Three online chat sessions with Dr. Barbara Jacoby the week of June 25th
· Access to the second live broadcast June 28th
· 35-page workbook, which includes a syllabus template and an extensive list of resources
· CDs recordings of both workshops mailed to you after the live events
· Complete transcripts of both workshops
· 20 Minute Mentor CD How Can I Promote Deep Learning Through Critical Reflection?<http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/landing5>
· 20 Minute Mentor CD How Do I Get Started With Service-Learning?<http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/landing7>
· 20 Minute Mentor CD Can Service-Learning Work in My Discipline? <http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/landing22>
· The white paper Service-Learning Course Design: What Faculty Need to Know <http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/landing9>
· On-demand access to the recording, for seven days, after each live event
2718 Dryden Drive, Madison, WI 53704-3086, 1-800-433-0499 support at magnapubs.com<mailto:support at magnapubs.com>
You are receiving this message as a result of an order, materials request, list service, or by opting to subscribe.
To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here<http://magnapubsemail.com/a/hBPQ9uiB8XEciB8gCjkAAEH4nTu/unsub?password=B8XEciAAEH4nBPQ9uiTrCYb6bDAf2hemail@example.com>.
© Copyright 2012 Magna Publications
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Wpscholars-network